Monday, January 6, 2014

Passion and Fear...& My 700th Post!

"When you come to the edge of all the light you know, and are about to step off into the darkness of the unknown, faith is knowing one of two things will happen: There will be something solid to stand on, or you will be taught how to fly."  -Barbara Winter, Writer


A brand new week and a brand new YEAR. I love it!! And I love that we are on Week 31 of Being Me!! When I started this project back in May I wasn't sure I could keep up with the posts and ideas. But I have and look forward to finishing the project strong!! Remember even if you are new here or are far behind...don't worry!! You can jump in anytime!! Being Me is at the top of my blog...ready for when you are. Take your time and learn and grow. That is the point:)

Ok so Week 31 should give you lots to think about and work on. If you are like me {and I'm pretty sure you are or you wouldn't be here} you are a creative soul with dozens of ideas and goals and dreams. Sometimes we can get stuck...even though we still have all these amazing ideas and projects...we get stuck. We don't know where to begin...all of our inspiration and thoughts seem to vanish.

In her book "The 12 Secrets of Highly Creative Women" Gail McMeekin invites us to answer these questions and help us use our passions in life to conquer fears and frustrations so we can live out our creative desires.

1. Think of a time you wanted something so much that our were willing to do anything to get it. What was the outcome?

2.  Do you feel exhilerated by your creative work right now? What ignites you the most about it? If you're not psyched about your current work, what would you rather be doing?

3.  What discomfort are you willing to endure to promote and experience your passion?

4. What are your specific fears about yourself and your work?

"Diamonds are only chunks of coal that stuck to their jobs, you see."  - Minnie Richard Smith, Poet

For the past 2 years I have had a dream to submit my work to my favorite art magazines "Art Journaling" by Stampington. Have I done that yet?? NO. Why?? Well because I am constantly comparing myself to others and telling myself I am not good enough....that's why.

Years ago...when I was a scrapbooker I was published in Memory Makers. Talk about a THRILL!! The Editor even commented on MY page which made it even sweeter. Somehow that validated me as an official scrapbooker...which looking back now I know is crazy.

The thing is I have been fearful most of my artistic life...fearful that I am not good enough or creative enough or whatever. Yes, I share here on my blog and have had numerous challenges...I have conquered some of my creative fears, true.

The biggest one I want to conquer this year is to STOP over thinking my work. I just want to create. To take time and play. To get over my fears of not being good enough.

Please take time this week, girls to answer these questions. Remember you can put them in your art journal or just write them on a piece of paper. Just answer them!! I would LOVE to hear any ideas or ephananies you may have...be sure and share here or on our FB page:)


1 comment:

  1. Happy New Year and congratulations on your 700th blog post!! What an amazing accomplishment!

    I hope you will pitch your work to Stampington - I just know that doing it will bring a level of confidence that will stay with you as you continue to pitch your work to other artful publications and add to your confidence. As someone who has pitched my work to publications or exhibits, and been turned down, you take in that it is all just part of the process, but at least you are putting yourself out there, which is more than many people ever dare to dream of! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughts and ideas...they inspire me!! I will be visiting you soon. Have a CREATIVE day!!